As part of our public service outreach, MEFA offers free training and events that are aligned with MASCA’s MA Model and the Massachusetts Career Development Education (CDE) Benchmarks. These events — which include in-person trainings, webinars, and professional conference seminars — can be incorporated into your comprehensive school counseling program.
MEFA is certified by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education to provide Professional Development Points (PDP) to school counselors. Read more about our PDP policy.
Financial Aid Training
Every year, MEFA offers financial aid training sessions for Massachusetts school counselors and college access professionals. These sessions include financial aid updates, helpful tips for advising students, and discussion of recent trends, and allow counselors to earn 5 PDPs. Dates for our upcoming November 2016 trainings will be posted shortly.
School Counselor Webinar Series
You can earn more PDPs by attending live MEFA webinars or watching recorded ones on timely financial aid topics and completing an Evidence of Learning Form (worth one PDP) for each webinar.
Please click on each webinar below for a full description and to register. All webinars are at 10am unless otherwise indicated.
- Getting Started with YourPlanForTheFuture (YPFF): Thursday, Sept 8, 2016 @ 8:30am
- Getting Started with YourPlanForTheFuture (YPFF): Monday, Sept 12, 2016 @ 3:00pm
- College Financing: Friday, Sept 23, 2016
- Understanding the FAFSA: Wednesday, Sept 28, 2016
- CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE: Wednesday, Oct 5, 2016
- Financial Aid: National Landscape & Regulatory Updates: Friday, Jan 20, 2017
- Counseling Families with Unique Circumstances: Tuesday, Jan 31, 2017
- Working with Foster Youth in the Financial Aid Process: Monday, Feb 13, 2017
- Helping Families Understand Financial Aid Award Letters: Tuesday, April 4, 2017
MEFA provides financial aid overviews and sessions on special topics at the annual conferences of several industry partners:
- Massachusetts School Counselor Association (MASCA)
- Massachusetts Educational Opportunities Association (MEOA)
- New England Educational Opportunities Association (NEOA)
- New England Association for College Admission Counseling (NEACAC)
- Massachusetts Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (MASFAA)
If you attend any of the conferences listed above, please be sure to stop by our booth to pick up materials to share with your families.
Note: Following these links will take you away from the MEFA website. MEFA is not responsible for the content of external sites and does not monitor other sites for accuracy.