As part of our public service outreach, MEFA offers free training and events that are aligned with MASCA’s MA Model and the Massachusetts Career Development Education (CDE) Benchmarks. These events — which include in-person trainings, webinars, and professional conference seminars — can be incorporated into your comprehensive school counseling program.
MEFA is certified by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education to provide Professional Development Points (PDP) to school counselors. Read more about our PDP policy.
Financial Aid Training
Every January, MEFA offers financial aid training sessions for Massachusetts school counselors. These sessions include financial aid updates, helpful tips for advising students, and discussion of recent trends, and allow counselors to earn 5 PDPs. Dates and locations are listed below. Each training is 8 a.m. – 2:30 p.m. Click here to RSVP.
January 7, 2016: Mount Holyoke College, South Hadley, MA
January 13, 2016: Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI), Worcester, MA
January 14, 2016: Merrimack College, North Andover, MA
January 22, 2016: Massasoit Community College, Brockton, MA
School Counselor Webinar Series
You can earn more PDPs by attending live MEFA webinars (or watching recorded ones) on timely financial aid topics and completing an Evidence of Learning Form (worth one PDP) for each webinar.
Click on each webinar below to register.
- Understanding the FAFSA: Thurs, Jan 7, 2016 @ 10am
- Financial Aid: National Landscape & Regulatory Updates: Fri, Jan 29, 2016 @ 10am
- Counseling Families with Unique Circumstances: Tues, Feb 2, 2016 @ 10am
- Working with Foster Youth in the Financial Aid Process: Mon, Feb 8, 2016 @ 10am
- Helping Families Understand Fin Aid Award Letters: Mon, April 4, 2016 @ 10am
And to watch a recorded webinar, select a topic below.
MEFA provides financial aid overviews and sessions on special topics at the annual conferences of several industry partners:
- Massachusetts School Counselor Association (MASCA)
- Massachusetts Educational Opportunities Association (MEOA)
- New England Educational Opportunities Association (NEOA)
- New England Association for College Admission Counseling (NEACAC)
- Massachusetts Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (MASFAA)
If you attend any of the conferences listed above, please be sure to stop by our booth to pick up materials to share with your families.
Note: Following these links will take you away from the MEFA website. MEFA is not responsible for the content of external sites and does not monitor other sites for accuracy.