As part of our public service outreach, MEFA offers free training and events that are aligned with MASCA’s MA Model and the Massachusetts Career Development Education (CDE) Benchmarks. These events — which include in-person trainings, webinars, and professional conference seminars — can be incorporated into your comprehensive school counseling program.
MEFA is certified by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education to provide Professional Development Points (PDP) to school counselors. Read more about our PDP policy.
Financial Aid Training
Every year, MEFA offers financial aid training sessions for Massachusetts school counselors and college access professionals. These sessions include a comprehensive financial aid overview, with options for beginner and advanced financial aid knowledge (new this year!), a presentation by OSFA, a session about DACA and undocumented students, a summary of valuable tools and resources, and plenty of opportunities to speak with MEFA staff on a wide range of topics.
Trainings are from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. and you can earn 5 PDPs. Our two training dates for 2016 are listed below. Please note: the training at MassBay has reached capacity and we are now taking registrations for the waitlist. If you register now, we will notify you that you have been placed on the waitlist and will then notify you again if a spot opens for you at the MassBay training.
November 2, 2016 at College of the Holy Cross in Worcester, MA
November 10, 2016 at MassBay Community College in Wellesley, MA
Register here for these important training opportunities.
School Counselor Webinar Series
You can earn more PDPs by attending live MEFA webinars or watching recorded ones on timely financial aid topics and completing an Evidence of Learning Form (worth one PDP) for each webinar.
Please click on each webinar below for a full description and to register. All webinars are at 10am unless otherwise indicated.
- Connecting to Career Possibilities with YourPlanForTheFuture (YPFF): Wednesday, Oct 26, 2016 @ 1pm.
- Connecting to Career Possibilities with YourPlanForTheFuture (YPFF): Friday, Oct 28, 2016 @ 9am.
- Connecting Undocumented Students to College Access Opportunities: Wednesday, Dec 7, 2016
- Financial Aid: National Landscape & Regulatory Updates: Thursday, Jan 19, 2017
- Counseling Families with Unique Circumstances: Tuesday, Jan 31, 2017
- Working with Foster Youth in the Financial Aid Process: Monday, Feb 13, 2017
- Helping Families Understand Financial Aid Award Letters: Tuesday, April 4, 2017
Please click on each webinar below to watch the recording.
MEFA provides financial aid overviews and sessions on special topics at the annual conferences of several industry partners:
- Massachusetts School Counselor Association (MASCA)
- Massachusetts Educational Opportunities Association (MEOA)
- New England Educational Opportunities Association (NEOA)
- New England Association for College Admission Counseling (NEACAC)
- Massachusetts Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (MASFAA)
If you attend any of the conferences listed above, please be sure to stop by our booth to pick up materials to share with your families.
Note: Following these links will take you away from the MEFA website. MEFA is not responsible for the content of external sites and does not monitor other sites for accuracy.