MEFA's Spring Trainings
MEFA Loan Processing
- Wednesday, July 21 @ 11:00 AM ET Register Now
Introducing the MEFA Institute
We provide professional development trainings for our college administrator partners focused on planning, saving, and paying for college, including information on certifying and processing MEFA Loans. Learn more
New Procedures in Response to COVID-19
Due to the current landscape changes related to COVID-19, we have modified some of our procedures for loan processing. We encourage you to reach out to our College Relations Team at (800) 449-6332, option #4 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or you need assistance.
- We have suspended all loan certifications via fax. Please use our online system (see below) for all certifications. If this is not possible, please contact us so we can work together to find a solution.
- We are asking all colleges to notify us of your preferred method for receiving loan disbursement funds (options include mailing a check to your address on file or utilizing a wire transfer). If you need to cancel or modify a scheduled disbursement, please contact us.
- We are only able to accept loan refunds through EFT. Please complete our School Refund EFT Transmittal Form for all loan refunds and return it to email@example.com. Please submit your funds based on the instructions at the bottom of the form. For more information on refunds, please review our FAQs.
We appreciate your patience and flexibility during this unprecedented time.
Online Loan Certification
You have two options to certify MEFA Loans for your students:
1. Through our MEFA online loan certification system. We encourage you to take advantage of this system, and to provide other college administrators at your school with access.
2. Through ELM. We have joined ELM Resources as a lender partner, and all schools certifying through ELM can see all active and prior MEFA Loans from July 1, 2019 onward within that platform. You can learn more about certifying MEFA Loans through ELM here.
By certifying MEFA Loans, you are authorizing on behalf of your institution that you have ensured that each of the following statements is true:
- The MEFA Loan has been certified for an amount equal to or less than 100% of the student's cost of attendance less other financial aid received for the academic period.
- The student is admitted or enrolled at least half time in an accredited degree-granting program and is making Satisfactory Academic Progress as defined by your institution.
- The student borrower and co-borrower(s), if any, to the best of your knowledge, have not defaulted on an education loan and have not failed to refund an education grant required to be refunded.
- The student borrower and co-borrower(s), if any, are not currently in arrears to your institution for a total of more than $100 for a previous year for which your institution is demanding payment.
MEFA Loan Eligibility
Students must meet certain criteria to borrow a MEFA Loan. To be eligible for a MEFA Loan, the student must:
- Be enrolled at least half time in an accredited degree-granting program at an eligible non-profit college or university.
- As long as the student meets this requirement during the academic year, the student may borrow a loan for less than half time for the summer session. Summer loans may be certified using the student's enrollment status for the current academic year.
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress as defined by the college or university.
All borrowers must be citizens or permanent residents of the United States.
The loan application must meet MEFA's current credit approval standards.
Our Loan Disclosures and Self-Certification Form provide all the important details about our loans.
U.Plan Prepaid Tuition Program
We partner with over 70 Massachusetts colleges and universities to offer the U.Plan Prepaid Tuition Program to families. If your school participates in the U.Plan and you serve as a U.Plan administrator, make sure to create an online account to manage your U.Plan rosters and set up ACH/EFT to receive U.Plan funds electronically.
To set up an online account, please contact Claudia Niles at firstname.lastname@example.org or 617-224-4811. Please note that you must use one of the following supported desktop browsers to create an online U.Plan account: Google Chrome – two latest versions, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge, or Safari for Mac – two latest versions.
Use our U.Plan Distribution Refund Form to refund all or a portion of a student's U.Plan payment to MEFA.
Watch our recorded webinar on Navigating the U.Plan System to learn how to use MEFA's U.Plan online portal.
Volunteer with MEFA
During the past year, MEFA reached over 20,000 families through more than 500 seminars on early college planning, college admissions, and college financing. We welcome your participation, so please contact Stephanie Wells at email@example.com if you're interested in serving as a volunteer presenter to speak to families at high schools in your community.
Sign Up for Emails
college planning tips.