Your Guide for Financial Aid Help
If you're applying for financial aid this year, you'll need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA®) after it opens. Though the FAFSA is typically available on October 1st of each year, it will not be available until December 2023 for families completing the 2024-25 application. And depending on where the student applies to college, you may need to complete the CSS ProfileTM, a financial aid application required by roughly 200 colleges, universities, and scholarship services, or a specific financial aid application provided by the college.
The deadline to apply for financial aid will likely vary from school to school, so make sure you check each college's financial aid website to find out when you need to submit your applications. Meeting each college's financial aid deadline is extremely important, as a late application can mean missing out on thousands of dollars in financial aid.
Throughout the financial aid process, you may have questions or need assistance. We've provided a detailed list below of the many different ways you can seek help. And remember, you can always reach out to us here at MEFA with any questions (our contact information is at the end of the list).
For help with the FAFSA:
- Email: StudentAid@ed.gov
- Phone: 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243)
- Live chat: Visit StudentAidgov/help-center-contact and select Chat with Us
- Assistance: Attend a FAFSA Day event
- X (formerly Twitter): @FAFSA
- Facebook: /FederalStudentAid
- MEFA's Understanding the FAFSA webinar
For help with the CSS Profile:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (844) 202-0524
- Live chat: Select Contact us within the application and then CHAT AVAILABLE
- MEFA's What to Know About the CSS Profile webinar
For general financial aid help from MEFA:
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: (800) 449-MEFA (6332)
- X (formerly Twitter): @MEFAtweets
- Facebook: /mefaMA
- Web: Different Types of Student Financial Aid