Get Started the Right Way
Successfully building a college savings account requires a solid plan, discipline, and a focus on the long term.
College Planning Tool
Use MEFA's College Planning Tool to create a personal college savings strategy for your family.
Hear From Others
Hear from other families how MEFA helped them reach their goal of a college education.
The Truth About Saving
Find out the truth about saving for college – and dispel the myths and common misconceptions.
College Saving Tips
Review useful college saving tips that can help you make the most of your resources.
Join our Community
Save More, Borrow Less
The more you save in the years before college, the less you will have to borrow. Why is saving a better option? Because you pay interest on the money you borrow, but you earn interest on the money you save.
The chart shows an example that compares saving and borrowing, based on a college cost of $10,000. As you can see, the actual out-of-pocket cost is far less when you save than it is when you borrow.
Based on 10 years at an interest rate of 7%. This example is an estimate only and market conditions may change.
Discover Two Great Ways to Save
MEFA's U.Plan and U.Fund offer uncommon benefits to help you make the most of your college savings.
U.Plan Prepaid Tuition Program
Prepay up to 100% of your child's future college expenses at today's rates:
- One of the most stable and reliable prepaid tuition programs
- Can be used at a large network of colleges and universities in MA
- No fees, and no state or federal taxes on earnings
- Unused money returned without penalty including interest
- Flexability to meet your goals and budget
U.Fund College Investing Plan
Gain control and flexibility as you save for a child's college education:
- Allows you to choose how your money is invested
- Can be used at virtually any college
- Easy and affordable to open
- Significant tax benefits
- Professionally managed by Fidelity Investments
Find out how these and other college savings accounts stack up against each other in our detailed comparison chart.