If you haven’t yet started saving for college, now is a great time to start. With a child in middle school, you still have several years to save, and the earlier you start, the more time your investments will have to grow through compounding — a process in which investments generate earnings, and those earnings generating even more earnings.
Our chart below illustrates the benefit of starting to save while your child is in the 6th grade:
Your Massachusetts College Savings Plan Options
You have two great options in Massachusetts to save for college, and you can save in both plans at the same time to further increase your savings benefits.
U.Plan Prepaid Tuition Program
The U.Plan lets you prepay up to 100% of your child’s future college expenses at today’s rates:
- Locks in tuition and fees at today’s prices
- One of the most stable and reliable prepaid tuition programs in the country
- Can be used at a large network of colleges and universities in Massachusetts
- No fees, and no state or federal taxes on earnings
U.Fund College Investing Plan
The U.Fund offers you control and flexibility as you save for a child’s college education:
- Allows you to choose how your money is invested
- Can be used at virtually any college
- Tax benefits, and no annual fees
- Professionally managed by Fidelity Investments
The Full Savings Picture
We’ve debunked college savings myths, compiled smart saving tips, and recorded informative webinars and videos, all in an effort to help you make smart choices when it comes to setting aside money for future college costs.