As part of our public service outreach, MEFA offers free training and events that are aligned with MASCA’s MA Model and the Massachusetts Career Development Education (CDE) Benchmarks. These events — which include in-person trainings, webinars, and professional conference seminars — can be incorporated into your comprehensive school counseling program.
MEFA is certified by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education to provide Professional Development Points (PDP) to school counselors. Read more about our PDP policy.
Financial Aid Training
Every year, MEFA offers in-person financial aid trainings for Massachusetts school counselors and college access professionals. All 2016 trainings have concluded. Dates for fall 2017 trainings will be posted here in late Summer 2017. Presentations from the 2016 trainings can be accessed below.
- Financial Aid Overview and Federal Regulatory Updates: Beginner Session
- Financial Aid Overview and Federal Regulatory Updates: Advanced Session
- Update on the Commonwealth’s Financial Aid Resources
- Connecting Deferred Action (DACA) and Undocumented Students to College Access Opportunities
School Counselor Webinar Series
You can earn more PDPs by attending live MEFA webinars or watching recorded ones on timely financial aid topics and completing an Evidence of Learning Form (worth one PDP) for each webinar.
Please click on each webinar below for a full description and to register. All webinars are at 10am unless otherwise indicated.
- Working with Foster Youth in the Financial Aid Process: Monday, Feb 13, 2017 ***Due to weather, this webinar has been postponed and will be rescheduled at a later date.
- Helping Families Understand Financial Aid Award Letters: Tuesday, April 4, 2017
Please click on each webinar below to watch the recording.
- College Financing
- Understanding the FAFSA®
- CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE®
- Connecting Undocumented Students to College Access Opportunities
- Searching for Scholarships & Building a Scholarship List on YPFF
- Building the College List and Comparing Colleges with YPFF
- Financial Aid: National Landscape & Regulatory Updates
- Counseling Families with Unique Circumstances
MEFA provides financial aid overviews and sessions on special topics at the annual conferences of several industry partners:
- Massachusetts School Counselor Association (MASCA)
- Massachusetts Educational Opportunities Association (MEOA)
- New England Educational Opportunities Association (NEOA)
- New England Association for College Admission Counseling (NEACAC)
- Massachusetts Association of Student Financial Aid Administrators (MASFAA)
If you attend any of the conferences listed above, please be sure to stop by our booth to pick up materials to share with your families.
Note: Following these links will take you away from the MEFA website. MEFA is not responsible for the content of external sites and does not monitor other sites for accuracy.