Financial Aid

Federal Financial Aid Eligibility for Non-Citizens

We get a lot of questions here at MEFA from non-U.S. citizens asking about their eligibility for federal financial aid.  There are certain non-U.S. citizens who do qualify for federal financial aid, but they must fall into one of the following categories (for more details, visit the Federal Student Aid website):

    1. U.S. nationals.

    1. U.S. permanent residents with a Form I-551, I-151, or I-551C.

    1. Those with an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS) showing Refugee, Asylum Granted, Cuban-Haitian Entrant (Status Pending), Conditional Entrant (if issued before April 1, 1980), or Parolee (paroled at least one year and intending to become a U.S. citizen or permanent resident).

    1. Those who hold a T-visa or have parents with a T-1 visa.

    1. Any "battered immigrant-qualified alien" or a child of such a person under the Violence Against Women Act.

    1. Citizens of the Federated States of Micronesia, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, or the Republic of Palau. (Only eligible for Pell Grants, SEOG, and FWS).

For any additional questions on financial aid eligibility, call us at 800-449-MEFA (6332) or email us at