The U.Plan lets you prepay up to 100% of your child’s future college expenses at today’s rates. You can contribute to the plan each year in May and June.
- One of the most stable and reliable prepaid tuition programs in the country
- Backed by the full faith and credit of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- Can be used at a large network of colleges and universities in Massachusetts
- No fees, and no MA state or federal taxes on earnings
How It Works
Watch our quick video for a visual illustration.
- Contributions buy a Tuition Certificate that represents a percentage of tuition and mandatory fees.
- The percentage is based on the amount you contribute and college costs.
- The percentage is locked in, so it covers the same percentage when your child enrolls in college. View our Maturity Year Selection Guide for help choosing your child’s college years.
- The minimum contribution amount is $300 for one Tuition Certificate per maturity year.
- Your child doesn’t have to choose a school until it’s time to go to college.
- If your child attends a non-participating school or decides not to attend college, we’ll return your investment without penalty and including interest.*
- Your U.Plan savings count as a parent asset in the financial aid formula, which assumes that no more than 5.6% of parent assets can be used for college costs. The current value of your U.Plan savings (calculated as initial investment plus CPI) will appear each year on your annual statement.
The chart below shows the percentage of future tuition that a $1,000 investment would cover at three different types of colleges.
|Types of Colleges||How much it costs now:||How much money you put in:||How it translates into a percentage:|
|Community College||$5,000 per year||$1,000||20%|
|Public College||$10,000 per year||$1,000||10%|
|Private College||$25,000 per year||$1,000||4%|
*Interest on Tuition Certificates is compounded annually at the Consumer Price Index (CPI).
Who Is Eligible
You can save in the U.Plan for a child from newborn up through 10th grade, and you don’t have to be a Massachusetts resident to participate.
How to Enroll
Enrollment in the U.Plan occurs in May and June. Join our mailing list to receive notification as soon as enrollment opens for the season. Join Now
Update Your Account
See Terms & Conditions